10th Estonian Winter School in Computer Science (EWSCS)
X Eesti Arvutiteaduse Talvekool
Palmse, Estonia, February 27 - March 4, 2005
University of Aarhus
A Vade Mecum to Continuations
The notion of continuation is ubiquitous in many different areas of
computer science, including logic, constructive mathematics, programming
languages, and programming. The tutorial addresses their most basic
aspects both conceptually, theoretically, and practically. While
continuations are not an end in themselves, it is the consistent
experience of the lecturer that any new understanding of continuations is
accompanied by a new understanding in other areas in computer science.
- O. Danvy. A Vade Mecum to Continuations. Slides.
- O. Danvy. A Vade Mecum to Continuations (Continued). Slides.
- O. Danvy. Formalizing Implementation Strategies for First-Class
- O. Danvy. A Functional Correspondence between Evaluators and
Abstract Machines. Slides. [pdf]
- J. C. Reynolds. Definitional interpreters for higher-order
programming languages. Higher-Order and Symb. Comput.,
v. 11, n. 4, pp. 363-397, 1998. (Reprinted from Proc. of 25th ACM
Ann. Conf., v. 2, pp. 717-740. ACM Press, 1972.)
- J. C. Reynolds. Definitional interpreters revisited.
Higher-Order and Symb. Comput.,
v. 11, n. 4, pp. 355-361, 1998.
- O. Danvy. On evaluation contexts, continuations, and the rest of
the computation. In H. Thielecke, ed., Proc. of 4th ACM SIGPLAN
Wksh. on Continuations, CW´ 04, Tech. Report CSR-04-1,
pp. 13-23. Dept. of Comput. Sci., Queen Mary, Univ. of London,
- O. Danvy, A. Filinski. Representing control: a study of the CPS
transformation. Math. Struct. in Comput. Sci., v. 2, n. 4,
pp. 361-391, 1992.
- W. Clinger, A. H. Hartheimer, E. M. Ost. Implementation strategies
for first-class continuations. Higher-Order and Symb. Comput.,
v. 12, n. 1, pp. 7-45, 1999.
- M. S. Ager, O. Danvy, J. Midtgaard. A functional correspondence
between monadic evaluators and abstract machines for languages with
computational effects. Theor. Comput. Sci., to
appear. (Techn. report version.)
- J. Hatcliff, O. Danvy. Thunks and the λ-calculus. J. of
Funct. Program., v. 7, n. 3, pp. 303-319, 1997. (Techn. report
- O. Danvy. A new one-pass transformation into monadic normal
form. In G. Hedin, ed., Proc. of 12th Int. Conf. on Compiler
Construction, CC 2003, v. 2622 of Lect. Notes in
Comput. Sci., pp. 77-89. Springer-Verlag, 2003. (Techn. report
- O. Danvy, L. R. Nielsen. Defunctionalization at work. In
H. Sondergaard, ed., Proc. of 3rd Int. Conf. on Principles and
Practice of Declarative Programming, PPDP´ 01, pp. 162-174. ACM
Press, 2001. (Techn. report version.)
- O. Danvy, A. Filinski. Abstracting control. In M. Wand, ed.,
Proc. of 1990 ACM Conf. on LISP and Functional Programming,
LFP´90, pp. 151-160. ACM Press, 1990.
About the Lecturer
Mar 09, 2005 14:58